Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I've been busy

I haven't updated my blog recently, but projects have been flying off my needles and hooks.

Some time during the spring or summer, I found a pattern for a knitted square that I just loved. In a rare fit of sanity, I decided I did not want to make a blanket. Knitting a bag presents another sort of delay. I don't sew well, and the bag needs a lining. Here it is just waiting for the finishing touches.






During one of my many trips to the local library, I came across an issue of Interweave Crochet that had a lovely dress which I just had to make. It took about an hour to crochet each of the squares, plus all that extra time I spent ripping out mistakes and finishing. I confess it took almost as long to find something suitable to wear underneath it, but thanks to a bit of help from my mother, I can finally show off my handiwork.




Last year I decided to try out a new technique using a double ended crochet hook. Instead of a bookmark*, I chose to start a blanket. There were three red and three black 6 ounce skeins of yarn just begging to become a throw. It wasn't until I'd used a whole skein of red that I discovered the other two no dye lot reds were not only a different color, but a different texture. So, the project got set aside until I searched through my stash for two other colors. I was not about to buy more yarn for a project that was just meant to tinker around with a new technique. After finding some blue and purple, summer arrived, and the whole thing had to be set aside until I could no longer fry eggs on the sidewalk. Once I picked it up again, I spent a couple hours messing up and ripping out a couple of lines until I remembered the stitch. The result is absolutely stunning.


*Why didn't I think to just crochet a bookmark?

3 comments:

VASMA63 said...

Ha! Love reading your blog as much as seeing your work! Thanks for sharing the "back story" on each piece.

Andi said...

Yes, I see you have been! Gorgeous!

Andi said...

Gorgeous! Yes, you have been busy... my goodness!