This one is done in Homespun with size 15 needles. I cast on 24 stitches and did a k2, p2 rib. It is very stretchy, and you can get a rather long scarf in a short period of time. With larger needles, the yarn does not split as much and is easier to work with. The picture is actually the second one I'm knitting with this way; the first is finished and ready to be donated to charity.
A few of my projects are oddly practical and improvised because they will be useful. In the past, I made fan blade covers, one of the few sewing projects I've tackled. The latest in this series of useful household crafting are socks for the dining room chairs.
Using scraps of cotton yarn, I made these to replace the old children's socks I had been using so the floor wouldn't get scratched up. I crocheted a little rectangle, the picked up stitches in the round to rib the 'leg' of the sock. As you can see, I didn't have to make them very tall. So far, the chair socks are staying on and doing their job perfectly.
One can never have too many bags. While rummaging through my extensive stash of cotton yarn, I came across a pattern on a label, Market Bag to Knit. At a glance, the little picture on the label looked like crochet, so I had to delay the project until I got home to my knitting needles.
Here the bag is appropriately filled with cotton yarn. It didn't turn out exactly like the picture because I didn't switch to the larger needle size. The handles are also done a bit differently. I knit an icord with two strands of the yarn and then sewed it on to the top edge, which has a line of single crochet for extra support.
I won some Paton's Pirouette yarn at World Wide Knit in Public Day. It's a yarn I never worked with before but had heard a lot about. I tried knitting with it, and my thought was 'There has to be an easier way'. Turns out, crocheting with it is easier, at least in my opinion. After a quick search and few minutes of video demos, I confirmed my initial thoughts on how to do it were correct, and I got started.
A big plus to this yarn is that it works up fast. I had this finished in about an hour, and I'm pretty sure that included looking up how to crochet with it. It isn't really a relaxing experience, but it is fun to watch those ruffles appear.
I've done some other projects, but those are the highlights. Currently, I am tackling two socks knitted one inside the other on double point needles. So far, it is an adventure!
No comments:
Post a Comment