Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Evolution of an improvised scarf

As of late I have been playing around with writing some patterns for scarves and hats. It's an entertaining, if time consuming, hobby. I get an idea, and then I think of multiple variations that I want to try all in one go. This is disastrous for anyone who has trouble visualizing what the finished products will look like. So I make myself try one idea at a time, and there is much frogging of the final results.

Take this little beauty of a scarf:
You can't tell from the picture, but it is 100% complete. It turned out rather nice, if I do say so myself. So what made me rip it all out? First off, it was a bit too short, which is not surprising since I was using one ball of rather old worsted weight yarn, and the scarf was around 12" wide. It would have been more of a task than I was willing to track down more of the yarn. Plus, the feel of the yarn is not so soft and lovely, especially worked that tightly. So I ripped the whole thing out and modified the pattern.

Here are pictures of the modifications:

The feel of the yarn this around having used the larger needles was much nicer. If I was into blocking and making sure the pattern showed just right, I would have been happy with the scarf just like this. But I don't like to fuss too much when it comes to scarves.

This is my solution:

I folded the seed stitch edges together and used a quick whip stitch to seam it up. No blocking necessary, and no fussing when putting the scarf on. The modifications I did on the stitch pattern worked perfectly for this. It's almost as if I had planned this final result, and after doing this project it is something I can plan for in the future if the mood strikes me. 



No comments: