Thursday, January 11, 2007

Learning to Knit

Learning to knit is wonderful experience. I first picked up the knitting needles a few months ago and thought "How on earth am I going to make anything with these?" I picked up a few odd books, most of which had very little about knitting in them. Then I looked at the pictures of how the knit. I tried reading some instructions, but I was totally lost without looking at the pictures. I tried and tried again. I was completely convinced that there was no way I would learn unless someone actually showed me what to do.

At this point I should have looked for someone to teach me. But who has time to leave the house for such things? So I stared intently at the step by step pictures and concentrated on making what was in my hands look exactly like the pictures. After a few false starts, I had it! Luckily enough I read that regardless of how you learn, holding the needles will be awkward at first. That was the most truthful statement I have ever heard, and knowing it kept me going when I felt like the most ungraceful person who ever held knitting needles.

I knitted these nifty little slippers. One turned out the right size. The other is slightly bigger, but still wearable. Who knows, maybe the next pair will match!


The main secret to my success in knitting has been the willingness to start over even after an hour or two of work. It is a learning process in my eyes so no big deal if I make some major mistakes. It also helps that I'm starting out using the leftover yarn other people have given me. It's a great starting point and once I get more confident I can invest some money into this new hobby of mine.

1 comment:

Andi said...

The slippers look great! Good Job! Knitting is challenging I agree, and worth it!